What we need:

  • 1. Three Months
  • 2. Two bikes
  • 3. A tent

About Us

My photo
We got hitched last summer, are enjoying starting life together here in Chicago, and are ready for some real adventure.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Installment 2 of 3

So, apparently I failed at reading through yesterday's installment. I use carrots to denote what I want to italicize <>...but if I don't actually DO it, Blogger eats the word. Bad, bad Blogger! Bad!

So, we crashed a family reunion.

Yep. Never thought that would be a part of our trip, but Kyle and Mandy adopted us, so we went with them to a Kugler family reunion. When we got there, we were quickly absorbed into Kugler trap-shooting, Kugler 'Minute-to-win-it' games (ie: pedometers attatched to foreheads; most 'headshakes' in a minute wins, etc), and a Kugler family volleyball game. And dinner. Let's not forget dinner. Everyone in the family is pretty uproariously funny... needless to say we had a great time.

Everyone in Mandy's family lives close. Like, really, really close. Her grandparents bought a bunch of land around a lake a looong time ago, and they've slowly given pieces of the land to their children and grandchildren over the years. So...Mandy's parents and brother are pretty much in their backyard, and if other relatives don't live around the lake, they live within two miles of the lake. Cool and crazy at the same time. I'm pretty sure both my and David's parents/grandparents would be pretty ok with this situation... and who knows? Maybe someday it'll happen.

After the reunion, we went to a 'Barn Dance' with the Rich's. Unfortunately, we weren't there long enough for the dancing, but we played bags (or corn-hole whichever, you prefer), played some other games I don't remember, and marveled at the pretty amazingly restored barn. We got home and all crashed.

The next day was the last day with Rich's. We all got up and had a full breakfast again, got on our swim trunks, and headed over to S. Turtle Lake, where Mandy's sister's in-laws live (did'ja get all that?). We rode around the lake in a pontoon boat, paddle boated, played lawn games (bocce ball, lawn golf, etc), and just hung out before consuming delicious porkchops. We came 'home', and made s'mores with the most gigantic marshmallows you've ever seen. They covered two full graham crackers. It was a long, lazy, delightful end to a long, lazy, wonderful weekend. We'll miss the Rich's, but are pretty confident we haven't seen the last of them.

The next day, we ditched the ACA maps, and cut our own route South to Morris, MN, where my family's longtime friends Chris and Dana Leman live. It was very...into the wind. We had memories of Southern California's gales. Thankfully, there was a light at the end of the tunnel--a Chris and Dana light. Payton and Reese, their two beautiful girls, had made "Welcome" signs for us and signs so we'd know who's room was whose. Utterly adorable. Chris had just gotten back from the butcher with the most b.e.a--utiful 1 1/2" thick steaks you've ever seen in your life. Apparently, he called my dad to see what cook up for us. Dana made these potatoes that I will long remember...mmm. Over dinner, there was talk about what to do with the remainder of the evening. See a local 'dairy', or go to Chris + Dana's golf course? I'd never seen the course, so I voted for that.

So, the course is beautiful (even if I wouldn't know a nice golf course from Adam). Chris picked up some clubs, and we all went to the driving range. Um. Yeah. So, I thought baseball was my worst sport, but... now I know better. It's golf. It's golf by a loooong way. Nothing beats trying to line everything up, and whiffing the ball twenty times in a row. Yep. Really. David gave me encouragement, "It's just like a check-list. Do what Chris says, ask yourself if it's all lined up before you swing, and you've got it!". Whiff. Whiff again. Whiff. WHIFF. "Ok, that was fun. I think I'll watch you guys now."
My husband looks like a golfer. Chris IS a golfer (Golf Pro...actually). Dana has it. Even the KIDS had it better than me. Oh well. My life feels pretty much the same as it did before I discovered I am awful at golf. We got home, ate banana splits (mmm...), and stayed up to chat with Chris and Dana. Very fun to sit with people I know, and remember my dad putting up 'exotic meats' signs in their yard.

Oh yeah. We did stop at a gas station with a gigantic buffalo head hanging on the wall. So cool! I would consider one of those for our tiny one-bedroom apartment. Anyone have an extra 'hanging' around they would donate?

The next day was pretty hot. We still had some headwinds, but nothing like the day before. We were able to hop on a GREAT paved rails-to-trails route called the 'Central Lakes/Lake Wobegon" trails. We rode into St. Joseph, where my high-school friend Kelli went to college, and the trail ended. The clouds were looking pretty ominous...it had been a hard 90 miles and we decided to call it quits as a few giant drops fell. We saw a family out playing basketball, and asked if we could set up a tent in their garage. We had just finished pulling the bikes into the garage when the worst storm we've hit yet dumped .

In a matter of minutes, Joe and Allison Errman had invited us in, offered us a room, showers, dinner, a beer and two front row seats on their coach to a Twins game. Their kids, Brooke, Becky and Billy were all gearing up for their 4-h presentations for the fair the next day... it was fun to watch them 'interview' with their dad and get pointers. Before dinner, I piddled around the living room looking at pictures (yeah. I know. Is that creepy? I'll probably keep doing it even if it is), when I noticed a very understated display of Joe's medals from the Army. When I say understated, I mean they are sitting on top of a dresser. Joe has two bronze stars, a purple heart, and a medal for 'Distinguished Service'. Um. Wow? We went to sleep in an uber comfortable bed, full, and happy. Joe and Allison and all the kids woke up, ate breakfast with us, and sent us off the next morning. Yay for great families. :)

Ok, I think that's it for Installment numero dos. Hopefully we'll be aaaaaaaaall caught up tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. About living REALLY close to your parents... Can I put an early bid in for the Galats? ;-) Love you both bunches! Miss you a TON!

    ReplyDelete